Monday, February 28, 2011

A sad poll found in Jamaica's newspaper, The Observer

I was reading The Observer online this week when I found a rather sad poll asking Jamaicans if they would "pay extortion or "protection" money to safeguard your business in Jamaica?"  It's still a developing country and it saddens me to see the need to even ask that question. 

(this poll was found here,, on 
the lower right part of the page)

The good news is that 75% of voters choose "No, I will not bow down to criminals" leaving 25% of the 2,365 voters choosing "Yes, it's a necessary evil here."  Still, the fact that nearly 600 voters felt the need to pay off extortion fees for protection shocks me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...